Wednesday 27 August 2014

Portland's Wildlife - 18th to 21st August 2014

Male Common Darter dragonfly
Portland Bird Observatory isn't just good for birds. This Common Darter was buzzing around the pond at the Observatory and finally I managed to photograph it when it was settled.

Female Emperor dragonfly 
To my surprise this was a female Emperor dragonfly. It is a female because it is laying eggs in the pond. This particular female is very colourful.

Clouded Yellow
When I went up to the top fields with Joe Stockwell to see what was in the nets I was pleasantly surprised with this Clouded Yellow which settled; there was nothing much in the nets though.

Dolphins
Can you guess what these are? Well I'll tell you because it is virtually impossible, they are dolphins! Unusual to see them pass the Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment